Image for spinner

Sample Project:  Operational Process Improvement


Name of Organization:  Portland Nonprofit

Tell us about your organization: We are a large nonprofit with a mission to...

Project Title: Operational Process Improvement

Project Category: Finance, Accounting, & Operations

Time commitment: Large project, estimated at 150 - 250 hours, to be completed within 6 months of start date. Flexible hours.

Work Environment/Location: ~ 70% of time at nonprofit location (address), 30% from homeProject

Description: Our nonprofit has long term relationships with several large grocery stores in the Portland Metro area. Approximately 60% of the food we distribute to those in need is sourced from grocery, with the remaining 40% as donations from food drives, individuals, churches, etc. The sourced food is then distributed to those who need it via food pantries and meals at our mission.  Each week, a substantial amount of our food decays prior to our ability to collect and distribute it.  We are looking for someone to review and analyze our collection and distribution processes, develop methods to better measure and manage them, and then recommend changes to improve results.

Key Deliverables:

  • Document the current process/work flow.
  • Create a dashboard of critical metrics to measure/manage the operation.
  • Recommendations on changes to personnel, processes, tools or systems that will improve results.

Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required: Strong project management skills, clear understanding of how to drive process improvement, ability to interface across functional areas, strong communication skills both verbal and written. Excellent partnering skills.

Education/Experience: At least 5 years of either project management, supply chain, or process improvement experience.

Resources: Our organization will provide you with access to our accountant for up to 20 hours to assist with measuring as you assess the current state and create a dashboard. Our Operations manager (the project champion) will provide orientation and overview, create introductions, review progress, etc. Desk space and a PC will be provided when working onsite.

Common Messages